Friday, June 12, 2020

Remembering Everest Saatchi Days 1984-86

MATHEW ANTHONY, SR ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE, JULY 1984- JUNE 1986, EVEREST SAATCHI & SAATCHI, BOMBAY
I joined Everest S&S in mid-1984 from Trikaya and exited in mid-1986 to O&M Bangalore. Subsequently, I worked with Chaitra Leo Burnett and SBUs of Rediffusion (Wunderman Bangalore), Mudra (Rapp Collins), and JWT (RMG Connect).
Each agency I worked with had a definitive culture. My take on the culture is expressed by musical genres. Trikaya (R&R), O&M (Jazz), CLB (Rap), Rediffusion (Reggae), Mudra (Carnatic), and JWT (Western Classical). Everest? Rhythm & Blues. Seventh heaven.
At Everest, my clients spanned from Churchgate (Swissair), Fort (Herbertsons), Worli (Mahindra & Mahindra), Thane (Teksons), Baroda (Alembic Glycodin).
However, Herbertsons took up all of the week doing the tiniest of artwork – bottle labels in 6pt text - which had to pass the nanometer test at the client end. Nargis Unawala nearly became an optician as a result.
Whoever else one may interact with in the office on a day-to-day basis, Nisha and Amina were staple. They alternated in keeping the switchboard humming at the front office, and qualifying for a world record for sorting all the colored copies of creative briefs at the back office. The memos were retrievable at minutes notice without hitch or hindrance. Their work was meticulous and their dedication admirable.
In all the agencies that I have worked, the secretarial assistance at Everest was par excellence. What was remarkable about the secretaries was their ability to convert muddled thinking of the executive (me) into pristine prose that got the job done.
In fact, Everest was defined by refinement and courtesy across departments and the hierarchy. It was rare to hear a raised voice.
There was a singular efficiency to the work culture at Everest. And, notably so. As an account executive I could set my watch by Charu or Vitthal pushing open the cabin door, dropping the layout or artwork on my work table for me to make the Herbertsons meeting, on time, every time. Another practice at Everest that helped client service focus on generating billing was (the invisible) accounts department taking the responsibility for collections, shielding client servicing from any conflict with client on the issue.
I reported into Farhad Gimi for the larger part of my tenure. He was a hands-off boss who helped me grow professionally. I recall a major review that we had with M&M and Farhad told me that I will be leading it. It was the first time that I was presenting to the top management of a company.
It went off remarkably well. Thirty-five years later, I still have the typed note of appreciation from Mr MC Nair and Farhad Gimi. Such courtesies were an Everest characteristic that built relationships which is being celebrated through this commemorative book.
Passing through the portals of Kitab Mahal and the interactions with the lively, spirited people who made up the place is a memory to cherish to the last breath of my life.

Then
Now (Kind of) 



Contact, Profile and Blog posts: mathew.anthony@gmail.com +919740080263

No comments: