Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Possessions Spell Captivity

 

Lack inspires creativity and motivation to persevere.

September 17, 2026

What would I not give or give up to have that [something]?

I do not recall ever saying that. But I do hear it often. More from women than men. Probably because women are far more expressive than men, wearing their emotions on their faces, while men hide them under their sleeves. Expressed in a manner of speaking, it is either for an accessory or a mouthwatering dish that tasted so good the memory is seared into the palate.

Sometimes obsession with a particular result can be double-edged with tragic consequences. Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”

When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, his daughter came out to meet him, dancing to the sound of timbrels! She was an only child. Except for her, he had neither son nor daughter. When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried, “Oh no, my daughter! You have brought me down, and I am devastated. I have made a vow to the Lord that I cannot break.” “My father,” she replied, “you have given your word to the Lord. Do to me just as you promised, now that the Lord has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites.” (Judges 11: 30-31, 34-36)

In the Word of God, we have the Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl: “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.” (Mt 13:44-46)

Is there a treasure you deeply desire? And when you find it, would you sell everything you own to buy the treasure? The rich man wanted such a treasure. “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus said, “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions. (Mt 10:17,21-22) Possessions spell captivity. Lack inspires creativity and motivation to persevere.

I do have an obsession. Writing as therapy or meditation. Despite chores, pressures, work and family obligations, I must eke out time to immerse myself in the Word of God for the first three hours of the day. The fruit of immersion is the reflection written in the next three hours. These hours I deeply cherish. It pays off abundantly. Stuff happens, and divine remedies follow to resolve the issues or clear the obstacles. With prayer comes hope. Without prayer comes uncertainty.

The phrase “Every day, in every way, I’m getting better and better“, popularised by Émile Coué, a French psychologist and pharmacist who lived in the early 20th century, has become one of the most enduring and impactful affirmations in the realm of self-improvement. It’s simple, and yet profoundly effective. The Word of God says so too: “As you think, so you are” (Prov 23:7)

A motorcycle ride (Robert M. Pirsig’s 1974 publication, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) could be therapy or meditation. Or for the wealthier and influential, a game of golf. It must pay off in some way for folks to immerse themselves in the sport.

A golf kit usually includes a set of golf clubs - a driver, irons, wedges, and a putter. My writing kit consists of my mind, my eyes, my fingers, internet access, and the keyboard. Low maintenance, relatively speaking. Membership in a golf club is a much-sought-after privilege dictated by wealth.

In God’s club, the only qualification is a desire to pray, worship, and to be led. “For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.” (Jer 29:11) Meditation and therapy are a daily habit. So is writing the reflection sans the occasional 18-hour involvement with an assignment or an emergency.

Bishop Fulton Sheen’s imminent beatification and subsequent canonisation are on the anvil. As one broadcaster commented, to be beatified and canonised, the person must be heroically virtuous, not just virtuous. The Catholic Church commits its best resources to investigate every part of a candidate’s life, associations, contributions, and controversies (run in with the Francis Cardinal Spellman of New York over the National Dried Milk, which was decided in Bishop Sheen’s favour). Only then is a declaration promulgated.

In 1979, the newly elected Pope John Paul II visited New York. The cathedral was packed with over 5,000 people. The old and feeble Bishop Sheen sat in a place of little attention. But the Pope called for him by name. As Sheen approached the Holy Father, he began to prostrate himself, but the Pope caught him and lifted him into an embrace.

As John Paul II held him there, he said to Bishop Sheen, “You have written and spoken well of the Lord Jesus Christ. You are a loyal son of the church.” I aspire to that recognition someday. A few months later, on the morning of December 9th, 1979, Bishop Fulton J. Sheen was found dead in the one place he never failed to go - the Blessed Sacrament- making his daily holy hour.

The Blessed Sacrament is the most precious gift of the Holy Catholic Church, but does not receive the prominence in the lives of the faithful. The Sacrament is the ultimate source of spiritual and physical energy. The personal ‘Holy Hour’, whatever the demands of the day. I submit to you: try it, and you will make the Blessed Sacrament a critical part of your life.

- Mathew Anthony

No comments: